Simple Ways To Deal With Negative People
We all have negative people in our lives, whether it be in a relationship, job, friends, family or just the stranger you bump into on the street. Nothing positive comes out of their mouths and they consistently take the first opportunity to set you straight on how bad you are doing.
After constant exposure to people like this, you begin to wonder if they take a real pleasure out of bumming people out. Well yes, they do. Misery loves company and nothing makes them feel bigger, better and more in control that to wipe that smile off your face.
When dealing with negative people, we can choose not to respond to their behavior and allow our positive behavior be an example. For example, if you are interacting with negative people and these are people you have to deal with on a regular basis – like a friend, spouse, a family member or someone you work with, you should never allow their negativity to affect you and what’s most important, you should never blame them if it does. Never give your power away by blaming others for what you are feeling or don’t feel.
The moment you do, you become a victim of your circumstances. Instead of using your time and energy to overcome life’s challenges, you will get lost in the problems and stuck in a really unhappy place. No matter how many challenges you will face in life and no matter how many negative and difficult people you will have to deal with, it is always better to take a look at what you could do better instead of pointing out what they are doing wrong. Own your own feelings and go within to see why a negative remark or action hits home with you versus of rolling off you like teflon.
9 Ways to Deal with Negativity
Here are 9 simple and clever ways to deal with the negativity that comes your way from those you love and care about in a more positive and effective way.
- Own it. Go from being a victim, from blaming, judging and criticizing to assuming full responsibility for your own thoughts and feelings. “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ~Carl Jung
- Like attracts like. Whether we like it or not, we attract in our lives people, events and situations that mirror our internal state of being. Look within to what is making you unhappy and projecting on to others.
- Don’t take your thoughts too seriously. When dealing with a negative person or situation, don’t let your ego blow it out of proportion.
- Shift your focus. Ask yourself if you are willing to find something positive about these people or situation? If you can find just one thing, it will shift the energy away from the negativity. If you feel like you aren’t ready to change the way you look at them, don’t judge yourself for feeling the way you do. It’s okay if you don’t want to do it right away.
- Don’t make their problems your problems. For your own sake and theirs, make sure you don’t make their problems your problems and their negativity your own. If you want to shed light into the dark, you focus on the solutions, not on the problems.
- Let go of your need to complain. Make sure you take responsibility for your own emotions and state of being. Don’t go around complaining about how much their negativity is affecting you for this will only create more negativity.
- Raise your positive energy. Energy is contagious and focusing on the negative energy of others won’t create any positivity, it will only create more negativity. Focus more on the things you love or just like about these people that behave in negative ways. Negative and positive energy coexist, you focus on one or the other and based on that you will feel happy or unhappy. It’s that simple.
- Be the change you want to see in your world. The world is nothing more than a reflection of who we are deep down inside. Seek to feel good. Live life in a positive, cheerful, loving and happy way and trust that by doing so, all the negative people that are present in your life will be affected by your feelgood energy.
- Work on understanding the duality of life. Learn to accept both the negative and the positive traits in people.
Don’t condemn their negativity, don’t judge it and don’t resist it. Allow it to be. Observe and accept it.
Susan Z’s Verdict
The consistent formula to stop unhappy life situations is to look within and ask yourself what is it that you believe about yourself and your life that brings in people and circumstances that rob you of your happiness? Read uplifting books, listen to affirmation tracks and ask the Universe to help you see more light in your life.
“Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darkness of other people.” ~ Carl Jung
|Considering getting a psychic reading? We have carefully screened and selected a range of gifted, compassionate psychic readers to provide clarity and new insights into your life. Online psychics available 24/7.|
Susan Z Rich is an emotional addiction counselor, spiritual intuitive and holistic therapist. She counsels others to see life in a more positive way and teaches personal accountability for life choices. She is also the author of several children’s books and Soul Windows…Secrets From The Divine. (life cycles) Learn more at her website: www.szrwhitewings.com